Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I Did It!

The ladies in my ward recently started a book club. Although I haven’t actually attended yet (I missed the book picking meeting and the first “book meeting”), I am trying to keep up with them...because I am going to the next one no matter what! The first book on our list was To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, which I just finished today (only 2 weeks late)! I am so proud of myself for finishing an entire book! This is the first one since Addie has been born! I started 3 others at various points, but life gets crazy and distracts me so it is nice to have something like this to keep me on track.

I do know that I supposedly read To Kill A Mockingbird in high school, but I remembered nothing from it other than the main character’s names. It must have been one that I read parts of and used Cliffs Notes to fill me in on the rest. Anyway, I really loved it this time around. If you haven’t “read” it since high school like me, I highly recommend it! I was particularly struck by what an amazing man Atticus Finch was. If the name was a little more normal I may even add it to my list of possible baby names for the future.

The next book on our list (for the meeting on November 29th) is Three cups of tea: One Man’s Mission to Fight Terrorism and Build Nations One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson. If you are looking for something to read, join in and we can blog about it together - it sounds really interesting. Here is the synopsis from half.com:
“Greg Mortenson recounts his experiences as co-founder of the Central Asia Institute, a nongovernmental organization that, since the 1990s, has done exemplary work in Pakistan and Afghanistan, where it has built and operated schools and improved public health. He tells how, by working side-by-side, the villagers and the staff of the CAI have overcome challenges, drawn on strengths, and worked toward breaking down the ignorance and prejudice that might otherwise have divided them. It has not been easy and the need is great, says Mortenson, and underscores the fact that the positive work of NGOs like the Central Asia Institute can go far in fighting terrorism.”
(I’ll keep you posted on the list we’re going through, I was very impressed by the variety books selected! They also emailed the other books considered that didn’t make the cut – I’ll post that one of these times too)

No comments: