Sunday, November 18, 2007

Relief Society Getting to Know You Game

Saturday morning we had our Visiting Teaching conference at church and I was in charge of the getting to know you mixer at the beginning. I feel extremely out of my element doing these types of activities for all the ladies - I'm so used to working with the youth - but luckily my grandma and mom are very experienced and were able to get my ideas flowing. I thought I would post the activity online to help anyone else looking for their own ideas :-). I bought a bunch of colored candy canes (we had discussed lollipops too, but candy canes were easy to find at this time of year) and typed questions on strips of paper that I taped to the bottoms, rolled around and then stuck into the jar. My mom helped me a ton by lending me the jars and making them cute with her ribbons! I put 12 candy canes in a jar and the questions were either fun (Tell us about your most unique job./If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?), visiting teaching and church related (What is your best visiting teaching memory?/Name your favorite temple.), or getting to know you (How many brothers and sisters do you have?/Who do you most admire?). One person would pick a candy cane, read and answer their question and the rest of the table takes turns answering the question too. I like how this works out because it gets you into more of a conversation about the question as opposed to one person saying something and that's it (also if you don't love your question it's not the only thing you get to talk about ). Breakfast was served and we played the game while eating which worked out well. We of course didn't get through all 12 questions but I think it was a success overall.

3 comments:

Ben, Sarah & Eli said...

I like the candy cane idea! Very cute

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing your candy cane idea. I was looking! :)

Anne Nichols said...

Thanks so much for sharing this idea! I've been trying to find some get-to-know-you games for a progressive dinner coming up and this will be perfect!