Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Special Time

When I was pregnant with Ella I read quite a few books about babies and parenting...so I could be a perfect parent of course :-). One of my favorites was this book The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp. So, when Ella was getting older and I heard that he had another book (The Happiest Toddler on the Block), I immediately checked it out from our library and read through it.I think anytime you read books on parenting you are looking for ideas that will work for YOU; so, while I may not have implemented everything he suggested into our daily routine there was one idea the I LOVED the instant I read it...SPECIAL TIME. I don't remember if he suggests a specific length for your "special time" but you are supposed to make up a song that signals the beginning of your time and set a timer so the buzz will signal its completion. It was a good thing for someone like me to do because although I was with Ella all day, everyday, I am a multi-tasker that can't chill out sometimes... so while we were "playing" in her room I would start organizing a drawer or her shoes, etc. During Special Time you are supposed to completely focus on your child and play whatever they want. Ella and I did this for awhile (she really did love it and would go point to the timer when she was wanted another special time), but the habit wore off. And since having 2 kids I have been so concerned with spending any one-on-one time with the girls that designating it "Special Time" hasn't even been a thought. Now I feel ready :-) and I have decided that we are going to start our own version of Special Time again...which means I need to think of a new song so Addie has her own special song for her special time. I think it makes it a little more exciting (and more official, which helps me forget about needing to get other things done) and I'm hoping it will help Ella be a little less jealous and understand that EVERYONE deserves their own Special Time turn :-).

5 comments:

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

Hey, I just got this news letter from one of my old chiropractors about a gluten free diet if you're interested.
http://www.choosehealth.net/PracticalLiving/GlutenFreeDiet.html

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

Sorry, here it is again
http://www.choosehealth.net/PracticalLiving/
GlutenFreeDiet.html

JJ & Allison said...

Yet again...such a cute idea from such a cute mom. You teach me so much.

Stephanie said...

I like that idea so much I just bought the book! The last few days I've really started to feel like I don't have a clue and am not doing things right, so any book with a recommendation is worth a try!

Christina said...

You sound like a great mom! I think you get it after your mom ... who is good at organizing activities!

xoxo