Monday, June 2, 2008

Drama!

Mondays are my grocery shopping mornings. So today the girls and I headed over to good old Wally World to stock up for the week. Ella and Addie are actually really good little shoppers, but just driving to the store, getting them in and out of the car, bringing/feeding them snacks and trying to also get everything on my list is still a little bit of an ordeal (which is why I try to get it all in one weekly trip). We had picked up everything we needed, avoided one Ella meltdown and unloaded all our goods onto the grocery belt. The cashier was about half way done bagging everything when I went to get my wallet out of my purse...to find it wasn't there. It suddenly hit me that I had used a different bag at church yesterday and had completely forgotten to put my wallet back in my usual purse (because I was lazy and didn't unpack my church bag last night). Still not quite panicking yet, I saw my checkbook and asked if I had to have my license to write one. The cashier told me that if I written a check at Walmart before it should be fine - I must have done so at some point in the last year, right? Wrong! She told me the computer still needed my ID #, which of course I had failed to even consider memorizing. I asked if a manager may be able to override the question so we called one over and although everyone was very helpful, in the end I was still told there was no way around the ID number problem - they had to have it. So I grabbed the girls and my useless purse and we started leaving. At this point I was feeling very frustrated and discouraged, so when the manager asked if I would be right back (so she could set the cart aside for me) I just quickly said no and walked out because I was trying not to cry. I don't know why the situation caused such a dramatic reaction in me, it really wasn't the end of the world! We got back in the car and I called my mom totally crying, which of course freaked her out until she learned that I had just forgotten my wallet, not been in an accident, not even lost my wallet, just left it at home :-). I'm sure it is times like this that Mike is secretly thankful that I can't call him while he is at work! So, I'm off to the store again this afternoon (none of us were up to going right back and redoing our whole trip immediately after the incident) and here is a word to the wise from my mom...put those numbers in your cell phone under a name you'll remember, or if you're really smart just memorize them. My whole crisis could have been averted had I done one of those things with my driver's license number. All I wanted when I got home was a bowl of the ice cream I was unable to purchase!

On a happier note, here are some pictures of the girls...
Addie flicks her tongue in and out really fast whenever she concentrates:








Just a funny little Adeline tidbit for you: She LOVES salsa and eats it like it is soup. She has done this on occasion at our house when I give the girls salsa to dip their quesadillas in and Addie will just eat hers plain instead. We went to eat at a new Mexican restaurant for our anniversary and Addie was sitting there eating fist fulls of the salsa when our little waitress came to take our order. She was astonished, saying "Increible!" and had another worker come over to witness our crazy baby! :-)

6 comments:

Sarah S said...

I think I would have been in tears too! I hate when things like that happen. I'm glad you still made it back to the store.

The Addie tongue flicking video is so great!! I wonder if she'll do that when she's a little older too? :)

Amy said...

I feel your pain. I'm sorry it had to happen. I'm sure one day it will happen to me.

Heber and Chalonn said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I've had stuff like this happen to me a lot lately. It makes you feel crazy! Don't you think they needed to take one look at your cute kids and realize you weren't trying to pull one over on them? Give us moms a break once in a while. I think I would have gone to a different store that afternoon.

JJ & Allison said...

That did in fact happen to me once. I too was sooo frustrated. Shopping with a Toddler is very low on my list to do since he very loudly shows his dislike for the shopping cart. I called JJ (as grumpy me) wanting to blame it on him like he had anything to do with it. I don't know why it affected me like that either. On most occasions I am able to calmly make better decisions and see a broader picture but not that time. Hope this afternoons trip goes well for you.

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry!

Lindsey said...

Don't worry...I just did that two weeks ago (left my wallet in another bag). I saved my cart though because there was no way I was going through the grocery store again (Carter is not a good shopper)while I ran home and got the wallet. The people at the store were really nice about it. The cashier says it happens on a daily basis, so we're not the only ones!