Saturday, August 2, 2008

My Uncle Mike

Today is my Uncle Mike's birthday and my mom posted a wonderful tribute to him on her blog. I remember when I was little loving to hear about the neat places he had been and see the things he brought back. I remember the day we heard about his accident, we were living in upstate New York and I can picture exactly where in the house I was standing. I remember truly getting to know him when he and my family were all living in Florida and really learning what a great man he was. I remember watching the NBA finals at his house one summer in FL and we had to listen to the game REALLY loud because he couldn't hear as well anymore. He was cheering for the Lakers and I was against them...they won, of course :-). I remember Kayley and I trying to sing "I Heard Him Come" at his funeral and breaking down and crying in the middle of the song. Most of all I remember Mike making me laugh all the time though! Despite everything he was dealing with he was always able to find the humor in life. My husband Mike just missed the chance to meet him and I have often wished the timing had worked out a little differently. My mom said after we had started dating and she would go visit him, he would always ask about how "Freeman from Fremont" was doing :-). Happy Birthday Mike!

4 comments:

Pineapple Hill said...

Thanks for sharing Marci, it's fun to hear your thoughts and memories of Uncle Mike. The tears started all over again... it's a good thing though :) X0

Diane said...

What a beautiful tribute to your uncle. I am sure he was a remarkable man.

Sara Jean said...

This was a really sweet post, Marci. I remember you telling us about your uncle Mike during Freshman year. Sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Jennifer and Jason said...

I remember your mom talking about her brother Mark all the time. He was an amazing man and what a great tribute.