Sunday, January 25, 2009

Can't I Just Have 2?!

So, when it comes to my pregnancies I really try not to complain about my current state (well, Mike may disagree...I do like to use it as an excuse for him to do things for me. For example, "Mike, can you get me some water from downstairs? I'm pregnant!"). I know that overall I am extremely blessed. I am pregnant for starters, everything is going well for baby Preston thus far (he's healthy and developing properly), and I am lucky enough to not have gotten really sick with any of my pregnancies...and by that I mean, I've never thrown up. So I may be pushing my luck to complain at all, but as I sit here at 5am typing this blog entry, I have just 2...and surely I am allowed that, right?!

First, my skin issues. Have any of you experienced the "pregnancy glow"? I, for one, haven't! This pregnancy, however, has definitely been the worst. From about 4 weeks on I felt like a teenager again, and now this dry weather has only made things worse! I don't like to wear makeup everyday, but honestly I don't have much of choice right now (hence my new compensation motto). Is it really necessary for us to be given another reason to not feel cute when we are already struggling?!

Secondly, and the reason I am up right now anyway...Pregnancy Induced Insomnia (self-diagnosed). I experienced this to a degree with each of the girls, but it has been out of control this time around! First of all, it started at the beginning of the pregnancy, which is entirely not fair! We all know by the end there is no comfortable way to sleep anyway and that people like to try and make you feel better by explaining, "It's just your body's way of preparing you for not getting sleep when the baby comes." Well, I think that is a bunch of bologna! I can assure you that the best way to prepare me for a baby keeping me up all night is by letting me get LOTS of sleep until that day arrives! What good does it do anyone to enter a state of perpetual exhaustedness by already being exhausted?! There have been a few instances where I can't fall asleep at night, despite my body and mind desperately wanting to, but more frequently I wake up (to go to the bathroom of course...another pregnancy perk) and then I can't fall back asleep. Sometimes this happens at 3am, sometimes at 5am and most commonly at 4am, as it did this morning. I get up and try to remain in as sleepy a state a possible, take care of business and climb back into bed as carefully as possible so as not to disturb Mike. Typically all seems to be progressing along at first. Then usually I need to switch the side I'm laying on (part of my problem is probably that I am a tummy sleeper when it isn't bulging out), which involves moving my body pillow and trying to keep all the blankets on me at the same time while not moving the bed too much...tricky. After giving that side a fair shot my mind begins to wander. I come up with all kinds of great ideas at this time because I cannot get my brain to be quiet! I have developed multiple plans and back-up plans for what to do with the bedroom situation when the baby comes (which we have not decided on by the way), meal ideas for the week, things I need to do in the morning-in order of importance, people to email, blogs to post, shows on the DVR I need to watch, etc. until I finally decide laying in bed is pointless and I may as well be productive if I'm going to be awake anyway...not to mention I am now suddenly hungry. This morning (it is now 6am) I have unloaded the dishwasher, switched the laundry, organized 2 kitchen drawers, enjoyed a ricecake sandwich with turkey and tomato (it was delish) and checked my email and blog updates (a big thank you to those of you who posted after 10:30pm central time last night for giving me something to read this morning). I am just now feeling tired again, which would be great, except the girls will now be up in about an hour and Mike will be teaching seminary, which means I'm in charge. Right now I'm thinking 3 kids is definitely enough!

(and please forgive any typos...I'm not operating on much sleep!)
(and thank you Mike for letting me sleep in until nearly 9am yesterday morning so I was at least well rested going into this mess!)

No more complaining from me now...promise!

15 comments:

Melissa said...

At least you did something productive while you were up :) I need to go unload my dishwasher, switch out my laundry and I've given up on organizing kitchen drawers (especially now that Jacob can get into them), but if you're ever feeling restless and wanting to organize, feel free to come to my house anytime!

Melissa said...

Sorry to hear you are already losing soooo much sleep.

Annemarie said...

You know what? You are totally allowed to whine!
Pregnancy is hard whether you are sick or not. I've hade pregnancies both ways & the not sick one was very hard, too.

Whine on!! We're here to listen!!

Stephanie said...

I couldn't agree more! I feel your pain. It is funny, I knew the skin was common, I have had the same thoughts about that elusive "glow." But I do the same thing when i get up to use the restroom and can't go back to sleep. I had never thought of it before, but I usually decorate the girls rooms in my mind too at that time. Strange. Next time email me or something, maybe I'll be up too :) You do sound more productive than me though, good job.

Amy said...

I feel your pain! I've been having a hard time going back to sleep after Jared wakes up for his 5am feeding. I'm exhausted. I wish I had a solution--my mind wanders too! I don't get out of bed though because I know I'll eventually go back to sleep--usually right before Lauren wakes up.

heather said...

Here is my one solution for falling back to sleep after, in my current case, a middle of the night feeding, and it takes quite a bit of practice. It is "meditation." I put it in quotes because you're really not supposed to fall asleep while you meditate, but it's a great way to clear my mind enough that I can let my exhaustion take over and finally fall asleep. There are a few different techniques I've tried/heard of, so if you're interested, I'd be happy to teach you.

mike said...

I'm ready to be taught Heather :-)!

Marci said...

That was Marci...woops :-).

Diane said...

It's not complaining, it's venting, right? you are certainly entitled to it, and I was entertained by it, so its all good. I appreciate the good mom that you are Preston, Addie, and Ella.

Emily said...

Ah, Marci--you are so cute and relatable and as one of those moms who has never been pregnant I don't even mind you complaining a bit.
My theory for falling asleep? You always tend to think of wierd things just before drifting off so I like to help sleep along by thinking of those things first. I usually focus on pink elephants in purple tutus.

Kayley said...

Marci that was pretty entertaining and now I just can't wait to be pregnant :)

Pineapple Hill said...

Nana is in line with Meema and after all isn't VENTING a heatlhy thing. You know you could blame it on Grammie. She doesn't have to be pregnant to wake up at 4:00 am and not be able to get back to sleep. But look at what she has done by 6:00 am before the rest of the world climbs out of bed. I, on the other hand have to be woken by an alarm at 5:00 to get up so Mr. Scott can get to seminary. Maybe that's what this is all about. Youll be so prepared!

Christina Bambina said...

Mars, you are HILARIOUS! I know you're not laughing, and I know that this time can be annoying, but think... it'll all come to and end and you will have a beautiful baby boy in return! ;)

You can whine all you want!!! You are entitled to it!!!

kelley said...

It's true...I get up at 4:30 or 5:00 every morning. My favorite time. However, because I'm old I can take nap when ever I want. You have every right to "vent" and it will be over before you know it. We are all so excited for this little guy to get here.

Haley said...

Seriously, I totally understand. It's been SO much worse for me this time around (pregnant with twins) - twice the crappy skin, twice the weight gain, twice the insomnia.. I just have to count my blessings.. it COULD be worse, right? Good luck this time around! :)