Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Making Progress

Photobucket

I have been working at saving money on our groceries for quite a few months now and I finally feel like I have mastered some of the techniques my friend from church Melissa shares on her awesome blog, Melissa's Bargain Blog! I got everything in the picture for $20, which really is amazing if you consider that the diapers and milk alone previously would have cost me almost $15. I am no where near her $40/week grocery budget, but I have cut our weekly costs by $30-40 and that makes a BIG difference each month (and couldn't have come at a better time with this economy and baby #3 on the way). I think the 2 big differences have come from getting items like shampoo and toothpaste for nearly free at CVS (so I no longer buy those at the grocery store) and getting better about planning my menu based on the sale items I buy that week. So, everyone be sure to check out her blog and learn from her wisdom :-)! She does so much of the work for you that you don't have to think too much about matching coupons, etc. It's been a slow learning process for me, but it is really exciting to see how much you are saving! I walk away from the store feeling so proud of myself :-). A link to her bargain blog is under my "Fun Stuff" category if you ever need to find it!

6 comments:

Allie said...

The first time you mentioned her blog i went over and checked it out and have loved it ever since. She really does share a lot of information that is very helpful. I too have started saving so much money because of her advice.

Pineapple Hill said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I really need to get on the band wagon. I'm checkin Melissa's blog out right now. I'm impressed!

Melissa said...

What a great trip! My kids love those Fast Fixin' nuggets and I soo wanted to go stock up, but I didn't get a chance to make it to Kroger (somehow the thought of taking 2 kids to Kroger at 5 after a long day at work just didn't appeal). I am hoping they will still be on sale this next week. Also, this upcoming week (starting tomorrow), Kroger will have the Mega sale which is always AWESOME and a great time to stock up. I'll be posting match ups and scenarios on my blog either tonight or early tomorrow morning :) (By the way, I'm so glad my blog is helping you save $)

michele cabiness said...

Ok, I'm inspired! We don't have a CVS or Kroger, or most of the stores that you do so It won't be quite so easy, but I know there will be deals here at our stores too. Thanks!

The Chrissy Herself said...

20 bucks? thats incredible. even with two avocados!

The Nixon Family said...

I can't even believe that you are in the realm of being able to say you are even remotely somewhere near $40/wk. I am at $150 a week and I feel like that doesn't get me meals, just food to eat. I guess I should really start this grocery game thing. I'll check out your friends blog.