Monday, January 5, 2009

Why?

Here is my venting for the day...
Why do kids think that going to McDonald's for lunch and playing on their playground is the coolest thing ever?!
Ella always wants to play on the indoor playground and since we never eat inside when we do go, today I promised her that we would do it if we got through all our errands without any problems. The girls were troopers and SO excited to go to "Old McDonald's" after we were done.
We didn't make it there until 1pm and it was very crowded, as usual. As I first waited in line holding Addie, then tried to order and pay as she got antsy, and then tried to maneuver back and forth through crowds with a tray of food while at the same time keeping track of Addie and Ella (because first the ketchup was out and then the water), I remembered why we always go through the drive through instead!
Then we went to the play area to eat, where it was also crowded...and noisy and dirty. None of the school aged kids go back to school until tomorrow so the playground was full of kids way too big acting crazy (why do the biggest kids seem to be the worst behaved on these things?) while oblivious parents ignored them. Addie almost got kicked in the face by what I would guess was a 9-year-old boy who was laying at the top of the stairs kicking his feet furiously at anyone who tried to come up. Ella hardly even ended up playing because she was scared of all the kids after that.
I think we'll wait awhile before we go back.
On the plus side, the rain held out all day for us and as soon as we got home and I tucked Addie in, it started pouring...and that is definitely something to be thankful for!

6 comments:

michele cabiness said...

I feel the same way. We generally don't go there except for birthdays or special occasions but there is always some awful child that I think needs to be punished more often, who has oblivious parents who probably need to be punished too!

Also, congrats on the half way mark!!

Amy said...

I wish I knew! WE sometimes go after storytime on Thursday and it usually isn't crowded. Lauren always requests McDonald's. Who knows why?

Kirsten said...

I took my niece there recently and after about 10 minutes of freaking out about the dirtiness and the safety issues and the appalling behavior of the other kids (seriously, where are there parents??), I vowed to never bring my children to one of those. We'll see how well that holds up though :)

Amber & Robby said...

Maybe it was a good bad experience and they wont want to go back. We haven't had the whole McDonalds experience yet with Zane. With your horrible story, I might never take him, and then he'll never know what he's missing out on...hopefully.

Melissa said...

I always try to find excuses/alternatives to the play area at McDonalds, too, because it's always so crowded and crazy. I also hate it when parents don't keep track of their kids (especially older kids who don't belong in there). We now have a McDonalds right by our house with no play area, so it makes it much easier to not even have to argue about going to the play area!

Pineapple Hill said...

Good job for see the silver lining. Way to time it girl.