Friday, March 6, 2009

I finally finished another book!

I finished my most recent book for book club last night just in time (The Chosen has been put on hold while I try to keep up with the monthly selections, but is a great book). I've put a few of my favorite quotes from the book below my review.

Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring Mormon Scientist: The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring by Henry J. Eyring

My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
I must admit that I thought this was going to be a dull and boring book when I sat down to start reading it, but was pleasantly surprised at how much it interested me. Henry Eyring was an extremely brilliant man and I loved his perspective on religion and science and how they fit together. I admire his work ethic and his devotion to the causes he loved and found his background fascinating. His mother especially amazed me and if there was a book about her and her life I would definitely read it. The book was set up strangely and I felt the second half began to drag a little, but overall would highly recommend it!
View all my reviews.

"The gospel, then, is the search for truth, and there is only one truth--there is a God in Heaven, who, if He is God over the world and over the universe, certainly understands everything, and inside His mind there must be no contradiction."
"The Church would have been perfect if the Lord had not let the people into it. That is where the mistake seems to have been made, but we understand this too. The Church is part of his wonderful plan to work with you and with me."
"There is probably no better way to deepen faith in the Gospel than to try to think out how this magnificently complicated world came about. Only a profound scholar of the physical sciences is able to calculate the utter improbability of any universe arising by chance. There is, however, a deep meaning running through all that touches our lives. The gospel is to be found not only in the scriptures but in every detail of the world, if we can but read it."

1 comment:

Katie B said...

How funny, I started reading Mormon Scientist a while ago but put it on hold for some other readings. I too like his confident understanding of the relationship of religion and science. AND I agree it started to drag a bit, which may or may not be why it's on hold now. :)