Friday, April 3, 2009

A Girl of the Limberlost

I didn't quite finish this in time for my book club meeting last night, but I got really close and finished the last 2 chapters when I got home. Here's my thoughts on the book:

A Girl of the Limberlost A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
I really, really loved this book. It kept my attention from the beginning and just got better as it progressed. I loved the main character Elnora from the beginning...she was kind, independent, self-reliant and despite the trials she was dealt always seemed to find a way to persevere and come out stronger and better as a result. I felt the book was written very well, going into enough detail about the time period and the elements of nature that play a large role in the story, without being distracting or annoying. I think it may be one of my new favorites!
View all my reviews.

I marked a few pages with passages I particularly liked, but this one makes the most sense when you aren't familiar with the story. Although there are not a lot of religious mentions made, there are a few and this is one of them:
"There never was a moment in my life when I felt so in the Presence as I do now. I feel as if the Almighty was so real, and so near, that I could reach out and touch Him, as I could this wonderful work of His, if I dared. I fell like saying to Him, 'To the extent of my brain power I realize Your presence, and all it is in me to comprehend of Your power. Help me to learn, even this late, the lessons of Your wonderful creations. Help me to unshackle and expand my soul to the fullest realization of Your wonders. Almighty God, make me bigger, make me broader!"

No comments: