Friday, May 15, 2009

3rd Time's a Charm

So, here's the story...
Mike and I arrived at the hospital a little after 5am on Wednesday (my mom came and spent the night at our house Tuesday night so we wouldn't have to wake the girls up early). We got checked in, did blood work, etc. and I was started on Pitocin around 6am. My doctor came to check on me at 8:30am and broke my water. Between that and the increasing pitocin levels contractions started to pick up pretty quickly. After a few fairly uncomfortable contractions I got my epidural (around 10:30am) and everything was EASY after that :-)!
Photobucket
Why you wouldn't get an epidural when you have the option I will never understand! We watched TV, checked things on the computer, I posted a blog :-), got a little nap and we waited. My only complaint was that I was STARVING!!! I forgot that I couldn't eat anything once I got to the hospital and made the mistake of having an early dinner the night before, so by the time Preston arrived and I got to eat it had been nearly 24 hours (and those of you who know me know I love my food)! Every food commercial made me crave something else, but what I really wanted was some steak! I called my mom and requested they bring me steak kabobs from The Red Oak Grill when they came :-)! My goal was to have Preston here by 3pm and he was born at 2:22pm, so we made it! I think I only had to push through 3 contractions.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
This was the best labor and delivery for me yet. With Ella I think I was pretty much in shock and then there were some complications with her after that made it stressful. With Addie the epidural wore off at the end and I was miserable and just wanted it to be over. But this time, I was happy and relaxed and taking pictures of Mike holding him as soon as he was out while the doctor finished working on me. It was the first time I really remember feeling the excitement of seeing and holding the baby right after birth and being in awe that he was actually here and healthy and it was over.
Photobucket
Preston is cute as can be and is looking less like a shriveled old man each day :-). He has TONS of brown hair...for us anyway...both girls were fairly bald, especially Addie. Sometimes I think he looks more like Ella did as a newborn and sometimes more like Addie. It will be interesting to see how he changes and if his hair stays as dark as it is now. Preston is a nursing pro! He latched on immediately after birth and didn't want to let go. The only problem we are having right now is of course trying to keep him awake to finish his meals.
So that's the story! Here are some more pictures of our hospital adventure.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket
I love Dr. McCullaugh and I LOVED my nurse Tonya too...I should have gotten a picture with her.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Mckell picked up the girls so my family could come to the hospital and meet Preston AND she brought us blizzards from Dairy Queen when she came to visit later that night :-)!
PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Grandad being a goofball as usual :-). I mentioned how I requested steak kabobs from Red Oak Grill earlier and if you live around here you really have to try them - they are excellent and come with this delicious cucumber salad and yummy rice. When my parents went to go pick some up for me the owner told them he unfortunately didn't have any beef prepared!!! Luckily when my mom explained that her daughter had just had a baby and was craving them he was nice enough to go in back, cut and marinate the beef and prepare the kabobs for me...and even sent a piece of cake to congratulate us :-)! And let me tell every bite was heavenly!
Mike's parents and the girls came later that evening. I was curious to see how the girls would react when they finally met Preston and they both didn't want anything to do with him. I had expected that from Addie, but not from Ella (she has since warmed up).
PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Our first family picture...don't Ella and Addie looked thrilled :-)?!
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
The night at the hospital went pretty well and I was greeted by this delicious gluten-free breakfast in the morning! Good thing they kept it warm on the hot plate!
Ok, so it's funny now, but I was mad that morning :-)! I was hungry, after all, I just gave birth for crying out loud! Where's the protein?! What's especially funny is that there was a little menu with my breakfast tray where I could choose my remaining meals if we had stayed at the hospital longer and the breakfast options included a plain omelete, cheese omelete, sausage and bacon...ALL of which are gluten-free! Oh well.
Photobucket
After taking it easy at the hospital that morning we checked out as soon as we could and it was so nice to come home! Allie and Stephanie came to meet him and bring the sling they got for me (which I'm SO excited about...oh, and cute cake pops that were promptly devoured) and Mike's parents made life easy for us! Preston is finally here and home with us - hooray! Ok, I'm worn out now :-)!
PhotobucketPhotobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

13 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm glad things went so well! He is a little cutie...can't wait to meet him!

Kim said...

Soooo exciting! I'm impressed that you're blogging already. Preston is a darling munchkin - even if his sisters haven't noticed yet.

Chalonn said...

you don't even look like you just had a baby. it all sounds so heavenly!

KelleyAnne said...

The run down was so fun to read. The third time really was the charm for you...not me. That was my worse one! Kayley, you were worth it♥. Can't wait to come help tomorrow. Hope and I are excited!

McKell and John said...

He seriously is soooo cute!! I laughed so hard when I saw the rice cake on a plate. That's all they could come up with? You should have called me, I've always got your back when it comes too food! When can I come see you again? I'll come get your girls on Monday!

Brittany said...

What a perfect delivery experience! I love the shot of you with your lap top as happy as can be before delivery and that shot of him with his eyes open and his pacifier!

The Walker Family said...

Congrats Marci I am sooo happy your delivery went well. He's adorable. Just three months and he will be sittin' in the gym with Scarlet. :)

Katie B said...

Oh yeah? Well, my favorite is how incredible you still look after delivering a baby. Seriously! You look great! And so does the now five member family!

Christina Bambina said...

You make it sound so easy that I actually want 3 now too!!! ;)))

Love you guys! Preston is too cute!

Xoxo!

Kayley said...

Marci he's so cute I can't stand it! He looks super cute in that little frog out :) I had to laugh at your new family picture too- I bet the girls were just in shock!

Melissa said...

I was wondering how long it would talk for the next post. Congratulations, Marci. I am glad all went well.

Sara Jean said...

Marci, how is the world do you look so beautiful and skinny after having a baby!!! You are wonder woman.

I love your story and your cute family! Hope things are going alright. I'm so glad Mike's mom was there to help out.

The Collins said...

Congratulations Marci! He is beautiful! I am so glad that everything went well! I love all the pictures you posted. Having a boy is so much fun....oh and it also took Sawyer my 18 month old to get used to Gwen. He didnt want anything to do with her either in the beginning, now he can't get enough of her. I think it was love at first sight for Carter when he saw Gwen..he adores her. Good Luck with your 3 cute children. You will do great being a mom of 3! Congratulations again! I am so happy for you!