Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Updates

First, on the Pregnancy (possibly too much information)...
I had completely convinced myself that my body was changing, something was happening!!! But of course, NOTHING...how is that possible?! Shouldn't my body be figuring this out by now?! It is the third time it's been through this whole routine after all. I almost cried, but I kept it together and treated myself to a burrito bowl from Chipotle instead :-). The only positive news is that my back pain is possibly being caused by a bladder infection and I know if my stupid back starts feeling better I can make it through one more week. My doctor told me that Preston's head is not engaged at all and did a quick ultrasound just to be sure he was head down. He is and she pointed out how his head is still a perfect little circle...great in so many ways :-), but not so great when that just shows it is not being smashed towards its' exit. She stripped my membranes and warned me it would only help to bring on labor if my body was ready...so, we'll most likely be showing up at the hospital at 5am next Wednesday for the induction as planned...at least I know it won't be any later than that!
Second, on Ella's school situation...
The district approved Ella's school for the Spanish/English two-way immersion program again! I attended a meeting about it yesterday and it was very informative. The director spoke about the benefits, the program in general, etc. and we also heard from parents of children who are already in the program. I'm sold! There are 2 elementary schools in the entire district who have this program and we just happened to be lucky enough to be zoned to one of those schools. The program is open to any children in the district however (the parents just have to provide transportation) but we will get priority since it is already "our" school. First priority goes to children who have a sibling already in the program, then to students zoned to those two schools and then they do a lottery for the remaining spots. I filled out all the applications and turned them in yesterday and just received a call from the director of the program to set up Ella's testing (they test the students for skill level in their primary language to see if they should be able handle the program). So, I'm feeling good about our chances of getting in, but if for some reason it doesn't work out I know we'll be happy with the regular kindergarten program at her school as well. I just hope if Ella does get in that the program continues for Addie and Preston to participate in as well! (I'll just need to learn Spanish once and for all so the whole family can't have secret conversations without me!)

6 comments:

Christina Bambina said...

Sounds coll! The school thing I mean! A second language is always handy!!!

HANG IN THERE MARS!!!!

Allie said...

Marci, I wasn't really progressing either and my doctor "stripped" me too. That was a Tuesday I think. By thurs and fri I was feel changes and was in labor friday night. I hope it happens like that for you.

heather said...

I would love for Anna to be in a dual language program. I hope when it's her turn for kindergarten we get as lucky as you in our options.

Good luck for the next week!

Amy said...

Sorry Preston is being stubborn! He'll be here before you know it and you'll get feeling better.

Diane said...

That is wonderful about Ella's school! She and Mike can communicate in Spanish! Such a valuable skill. I was really hoping for you that Preston would come early but it looks like we will be seeing you (and him)on Wednesday :) Hang in there

Kayley said...

that is SO cool for Ella! what a neat program!