Thursday, July 23, 2009

Seriously, Such a Stinker!

So, Preston is going on 2 1/2 months and had yet to come close to sleeping through the night...in fact, he's been digressing (he constantly flips over on his back and then gets mad about it).
On Tuesday the months of non-consecutive hours of sleep were really starting to get to me and now that he is taking a bottle, Mike was going to be on night patrol. I was giddy at the anticipation of how great I would feel in the morning after a full nights sleep and settled into the guest room (I didn't want to hear him cry because I knew I would then stress about whether he was taking the bottle from Mike etc. and not be able to fall back asleep).
In the middle of the night I woke up to Preston screaming and went in to find Mike lying next to the monitor soundly sleeping away. I was up at this point anyway, so I fed him and went back to sleep. He then flipped over about an hour later so I helped him resume his sleeping position and went back to sleep again. I wanted to cry at the loss of my sleeping all night dream, but didn't, and we made it through the following day.
Last night I wasn't taking any chances though! I turned the monitor up LOUD for Mike, got the bottle all ready and in the cooler in the bathroom and made myself a bed downstairs in the family room where I knew I would definitely NOT hear a thing! And it worked! My real bed is obviously more comfortable than the floor, but I just woke up briefly for a moment in the middle of the night and went right back to sleep. I am feeling refreshed. I then came upstairs and asked Mike how the night went, ready for a sad story about Preston waking up 2 or 3 times and getting some sympathy for how on earth I have survived it every night for months.
And Guess What I Hear?!
PRESTON SLEPT ALL NIGHT LONG!!!
Why do our children do this to us?! Mike woke up during the night on his own and checked him once and then went in at 6am to check him again. Preston was shifting around a little so he gave him the bottle and then he went right back to sleep!
I am extremely JEALOUS, but also hopeful the kid will give me a break in the coming nights too...
otherwise Mike is taking over EVERY night!!!
In other Preston news, I gave him a little trim off the top on Monday and although you can't really tell I did anything, he's looking very handsome (and a little scared) :-)!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

7 comments:

Cheryl Joy said...

I love how Preston often has that scared/look of concern on his face! I thought it was so cute how Addie used to have that furrowed brow- I'm glad it wasn't lost on Preston. :)

Katie B said...

He really is a little stinker! I'm crossing my fingers for some more night like that

Annemarie said...

Isn't that the way it ALWAYS goes??? I so hope he continues it for you!

Stephanie said...

I had a feeling that was coming when I was reading this, glad he is starting to sleep better, sad to hear how long it takes. I LOVE the pictures! You all look great. It looks like such a fun trip!

rusted sun said...

I'm pretty convinced that one of the reasons that babies don't sleep through the night is so that parents realize at the start that they are not in control. Sweet little pesky Preston is asserting his independence.

May you receive many nights of long uninterrupted sleep in the days to come.

Preston give your sweet mom a break.

I feel for you Marci. Please call me if you need a nap. I'd love to help out any way I can.

Melissa said...

I LOVE the expression on his face in that first picture :)

And I feel for you on Mike sleeping through and waking up crying....somehow Jason always manages to sleep through our kids waking up, too. I think men have selective hearing!

Michaelson Family said...

YAY! Congrats! That is so awesome. Hopefully he sleeps through the night from now on.
Also, I LOVE the picture of Preston when you were giving him a haircut. It almost looks like your photoshopped the picture b/c it is sooo funny.
I am so jealou that he has so much hair that you have already had to cut it.
JEALOUS!!!