Monday, August 24, 2009

All Grown Up...Kind Of

It's official...
Photobucket
Ella is in Kindergarten right now and I have been thinking about her and praying for her all day. She has been excited and nervous leading up to this morning, but I don't think the reality really hit her until it was time for me to leave the classroom. I got her all situated at a table and said good bye. She was acting a little strange and I thought maybe she didn't want me hugging her in front of everyone, but as I started walking away I turned back to check on her and she was rubbing her little eye with one hand. I went back to see if she was ok and she was doing her best not to cry. I had really been doing ok and not feeling too emotional about it all until that moment. We hugged for a long time and said a little prayer. I reminded her that on the first day of preschool she didn't know Miss Nikki or the other kids in her class but that she ended up loving them all and tried to get her talking to the little girl she was sitting by.
I am so excited for her to be in the Spanish Immersion program, but I do think that it made the first day a little more overwhelming...the class is half native Spanish speakers and half native English speakers and I'm sure being in a completely new environment, surrounded by people you don't know and then hearing a lot of a language you don't understand made it more scary. Especially for Ella with her quiet, sweet and shy personality. She never fully broke down and started crying and I stood out in the hall spying on her for a little while before finally leaving and then getting teary eyed myself. I am anxious to pick her up and hear about her day!
3:40pm is SOOO far away!
Ella actually slept in this morning...of course! I had to wake her up so we could eat and get ready in time without rushing around. She loves Mike's awful waffles so he made them yesterday morning and we saved the leftovers for her first day of school breakfast!
PhotobucketPhotobucket
We got her lunch and tags all ready to go...a heart shaped PB sandwich was her request, but I stuck a few surprises inside as well.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Grammy arrived, we took some pictures, and off we went.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We ran into Meagan, our friend from church who is also doing the immersion program but is in the other homeroom-there are 2 classes-on our way inside. Ella looks so little next to her! After what happened this morning I really wish they were in the same homeroom, but I know she'll get comfortable as the days go by and I'm sure the classes will work together a lot.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Me and my baby.
She has been with me all day nearly everyday for the last 5 years :-( and I just miss her!
Photobucket
Entering the kindergarten hallway, putting away her lunchbox and backpack and getting settled in for the day.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Addie seemed unphased when I got home :-). I think she will enjoy having the house to herself these first few days and then she'll start missing her little buddy!
Photobucket
I am so thankful that my Grandma was able to come stay with Addie and Preston so I could make sure Ella was all settled in! I'm also thankful to Katie who also offered to watch them...I took Addie over to spend the morning playing with Ellie and am enjoying the quiet house as much as I can. Preston is taking a really long nap so Katie probably wonders if I'm ever coming to pick Addie up :-). I was planning to clean up the house with all this down time, but I don't think I'm emotionally able to do it :-), so I'm blogging and resting a little instead...and waiting for pick up time to come.
I may have driven by the school twice already just to see if I can tell how Ella is doing by looking at the building :-).

13 comments:

McKell and John said...

I'm totally crying right now. This stuff is very emotionally draining! I hope she had a great day!! And I hope YOU had a great day!

Brittany said...

I know I got a little teary-eyed too! It sounds like she handled it well though (you too, and there's nothing wrong with repeatedly driving by her school :)

Kayley said...

I got emotional reading this too! I'm glad you posted about how her day started because I was thinking about her all morning! Can't wait to hear how it goes. ;)

Adams Family said...

what a cute little kindergartner!! i feel the same way today...and annie is only gone for three hours! lol! :)

Melissa said...

Jason did our drop off this morning and I was kind of glad because I don't know if I would have been able to keep it together, but I've been thinking about Emily all day, too. I was feeling proud of myself for making it through the day without crying until I read your post and totally got teary! I hope Ella had a good first day!

Katie B said...

oh what an emotional, tender day! That last line of your post cracked me up though. I love that you wrote her a lunchbox note, I was so happy to get those from my mom. I can't wait to hear about her day! Hang in there!

Amy said...

Reading your blog made me a little teary eyed. It's hard to have our kids grow up. I'm sure she's having a great first day.

Allie said...

You are the cutest mom. She is lucky to have you. This all makes me so sad though. I can't wait to hear how she liked it today.

Cheryl Joy said...

I am so excited to hear how her first day went.

There was something in the air this morning. I woke up with a nervous apprehension in my stomach and thought, "Man, I feel like it is the first day of school." Then I realized that it is. That is a feeling you never forget.

Good job, Ella. :)

Diane said...

I had to get the tears out of my eyes before I could type this. I was already emotional because it feels like Chloe is really moving out of childhood and I had such a good summer with her ....then I read this and fell apart.

This was a really precious post.

The Chrissy Herself said...

You held up so great, Marci! Ella was well prepared and ready to go... I'm sure she just had the jitters :) Even I get a little bit nervous on the first day of school still!

michele cabiness said...

3:40? Aaron gets out at 2:05 and I'm having a hard time with that! I'm sorry. Glad she liked her first day though.

Liz L said...

Your post made me all teary-eyed! What a big day for you and Ella - she'll do great at school. Hang in there!