Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Chosen

I first heard about this book when Katie wrote about how much she loved it. Her review was very convincing and I almost immediately ordered myself a copy. I started reading it before Preston was born but only got about half way through it before things got a little crazy :-). After making time to read The Importance of Being Earnest however, I realized I do have time to read if I really want to, and finally finished the book. I loved it! Thanks for the recommendation Katie (and I just ordered the sequel, The Promise).
The Chosen The Chosen by Chaim Potok


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I absolutely loved this book! You learn so much about the characters and through them, their religion as well. It has made me think about Judaism and how the Holocaust impacted the lives of the Jews living here in America in ways I hadn't before. I grew to respect and love the two boys and their dedication to their religion, to their studies, to their families and to each other very much. I will definitely be reading the sequel!

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

heather said...

The Chosen and The Promise are two of my very favorite books ever. I'm so glad you liked the first!

I also really loved My Name is Asher Lev which is also by Chaim Potok and about a Hasidic Jewish boy who becomes an artist (and so much more than that of course...). It also has a sequel, but I thought the first was better.

Katie B said...

Yay! I'm so glad you liked it! I always find myself thinking about it. Hope your enjoy The Promise as much!