Friday, October 16, 2009

A Rough Beginning

Well, last night was Ella's first soccer game. Typically all the games are on Saturdays and the practices on Fridays, but both were canceled last weekend due to the rain. This means that we had last night's game without ever having a practice and since most of the team has never played before I was really curious to see how the evening would go.
What I didn't anticipate was all the crying...and crying...and crying.
Let the story begin...
As Ella and I walked in from the bus stop that afternoon she was SO excited about her soccer game! She had a little down time, ate some dinner and it was time to get dressed. We went upstairs and when I got out her uniform (which she had seen before...and admittedly had told me she didn't like) she started crying about not wanting to wear it. I explained that when you are on a team you all wear the same thing and that even Abby (who she really liked at the meeting) was going to be wearing it too. I helped her get dressed and did her hair as she continued crying and was downstairs getting things together for Preston when Ella walked in, still crying, wearing only her panties, shinguards and cleats. She had hidden the uniform and we rushed to find it and get it back on to get to the game on time. On the drive over the crying continued and Mike and I both eventually gave up our overly excited, "This is going to be SO fun!" act and left her alone.
Photobucket
We arrived at the fields and Ella did not want to get out of the car. At this point I was irritated and no longer feeling sympathetic. We got her to the field and I think she felt better when she recognized her team members and saw that they were in the uniform as well. She was still in a weird mood but went out and seemed to be feeling better as she played around with the other kids a little.
Ella's coach is the nicest man and he was so patient with all the kids (a few others were also having "issues"). I must admit I was very thankful when we arrived to find other kids crying about not wanting to go on the field. I really think it would have helped had we been able to have a practice first, but you never know with kids :-).
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
I was SO thankful Mike was there this time! Something comes over Miss Adeline when we reach the soccer fields for some reason and she gets CRAZY.
Yes, she was eating dirt...and not just once either...weirdo!
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Ready for the pre-game festivities (2 boys on her team wouldn't even come on the field still at this point)...the team line-up, team cheer, announcing the players (which I wish I had recorded, 2 boys were crying about not wanting to go out and Ella and another girl walked out SO reluctantly) and meeting the other team (which was adorable! they stood right across from each other and just waved).
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
At this point things were looking good. Ella was happy and ready to play! She was first on the rotation to play in goal and her coach walked her out to get her ready.
Photobucket
Photobucket
They had only been playing for a minute when the other team ran the ball down the field towards Ella and kicked a high ball towards the goal (the only ball off the ground the whole night I might add). It hit Ella smack on her chest and shoulder. All the parents cheered for her, because she had succeeded in blocking the ball, although unintentionally. I think she was a little shocked - the tears came on suddenly after that. I just couldn't believe what awful luck, especially after all it took to get her out there in the first place!
Photobucket
The rest of the first half was spent trying to get Ella back on the field. Her coach would come say in his latin accent, "Ella, Ella, we NEED you!" And they truly did, with 3 other players not wanting to go on the field either, some of the other team actually played on our side a few times. Ella would go back out on the field and as soon as the ball was near her, would walk back to us crying again. We would bribe her with ice cream after the game, she would go back out and then come in crying again.
Photobucket
Photobucket
On the bright side, Addie discovered she could sit in this little compartment between our camping chairs and was happily contained the whole game.
Photobucket
Half time came and things really turned around thanks to these snacks (which Ella was THRILLED about) and some confidence-building practice with Dad.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Ella actually "played" the whole second half!
We always tell her she's a good runner so I think she felt comfortable running around out there and her friend Abby actually knew what she was doing, so we told Ella to just follow Abby around and she ran back and forth like a champ :-). By the end of the game she even got brave enough to kick the ball a couple times too.
Photobucket
Photobucket
We have a practice tonight and our second game tomorrow, so hopefully things will go much more smoothly after all this drama!
And we made good on our promise of ice cream...
Photobucket

11 comments:

Annemarie said...

Pee wee soccer is the BEST!
You could write a children's book about the woe's of the first game. Sweet little Ella! I hope game two is better.

Addie is hilarious in that chair!

Cheryl Joy said...

Craziness!

The uniforms are kinda big. Poor Ella.

I love the big picture of her with the pouty face! :)

Diane said...

What a trooper. Way to go Ella! Meema and Papa are so proud of you!

I sure remember those days, lots of sitting with noooo action. The players would only connect about 10% of their kicks. Steve and I would have to bring snacks just to keep our morale up. Mike loved it though, and became a good athlete. The girls just took dance lessons, it was a little easier to sit through those.

Melissa said...

We have loved soccer, but the first season is definitely the hardest one and takes some getting used to! It will get better.

Sarah S said...

That is such a funny post - I felt sorry for Ella, but the pictures and story behind it are pretty funny. Poor girl! And Addie curled up in between the chairs is hilarious.

Stephanie said...

I am cracking up, although I know how frustrating it must have been getting her there.

Melanie said...

At least her hair was adorable for the pictures!!! What a fun adventure:) Taylor decided she didn't want to play soccer again this year because she hated wearing 'those socks!' I'm loving your blog:)

Christina Bambina said...

Wow! how stressful for Ella! I wonder what was going through her cute little head!!! Looks like she'll be a good player though! Practice makes perfect! That's what my Grandma would tell me!

kelley said...

What an adorable story....Go Ella...

Addie is such a character...eating dirt....Yuk!!!

Cheryl Joy said...

Hey Marci,
I just read this again and a memory came back to me from elementary schoool.. We were all playing soccer during recess and I was standing at the goal, but not really prepared or planning on blocking anything. Someone kicked the ball hard straight at me while I wasn't paying attention and it hit and stuck right between my knees.
Everyone looked at me like "did she mean to do that?" I was so embarrassed that I ran off to the trees and never went near another soccer game. :)
Way to go Ella!

Kim said...

I read your post out loud to my family and we all laughed heartily. Oh, the adventures of motherhood!