Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Santa, Snow and a SNOWMAN!

Thursday I let Ella stay home from school (Ok, so I asked her if she wanted to stay home and go see Santa instead...I actually first asked her on Wednesday and she said no, she wanted to go to school!) and I took the kiddos to go see Santa at our local mall. He wasn't the warmest, friendliest Santa around, but he looked the part and the girls didn't seem to mind too much.
(to see our Santa picture history, click here and scroll to the bottom)
The girls went to talk to Santa a little while we waited for the photographer to set up (and I'm happy to report that Ella has learned to ask for a stuffed dog instead of a real one this year).
Photobucket
Preston didn't cry, but he wasn't too thrilled either (we never got a smile out of him).
He couldn't figure out who in the heck this weird hairy guy was :-).
Photobucket
The winner...
Photobucket
They did have much better prizes to choose from this year though...we got a little dog (Ella's pick), a little cat (Addie's pick) and a lollipop for each of them.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Later that night we did what any normal people would do when the temperatures are dropping drastically, we went out for ice cream :-). The girls picked a festive peppermint with marshmallows in it.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Friday morning was cold and gloomy. It was drizzling, but I did not believe for a moment we would actually get the snow everyone was talking about. We headed off for reading at Ella's school and she was talking non-stop about building a snowman when it snowed later. I tried to explain that even if we did get snow, there probably wouldn't be enough to build a snowman...this is Houston after all.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Addie, Preston and I headed home. I got a call from the school that there would be an early release that day and thought they were crazy...nothing was going to happen! Preston went down for a nap, Addie watched Word World and I cleaned up the kitchen. At some point I looked out the window and I couldn't believe it! Big snowflakes were falling and starting to stick! Addie and I went to scope it out immediately.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
I kept thinking it would stop any moment, but it just kept coming and coming and coming. I heard Ella's school let each class go out and see it and touch it for a little bit, which I was happy about because it was falling at it's hardest around noon while she was still there. I had to bribe Addie to get her to taste the snow, but she liked it when she eventually did and then asked for a cup to collect some in.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Finally Ella got home and it was time to build a snowman!!!
The girls started out SUPER excited about it, but quickly discovered snow is wet and cold :-)...hence our little teeny tiny snowman.
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
We headed inside to warm up for a little while before venturing back out again.
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
When Mike got home (his district didn't dismiss early - boo!) it was time for the fun to start all over again. Preston joined the party too...I think he got a brain freeze from his snow sampling though :-).
PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Mike had the idea to pour some Gatorade on the snow to make it extra tasty...and to preserve our little snowman's head in the freezer. Addie asks at least once a day to see him still :-).
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

8 comments:

Diane said...

Gatorade snow cones? that is some good improvising. love the last photo of mike and the girls....but my fave is your flip flop feet :)

Diane said...

ps. that is a one of the best santa photos i have seen. it is so difficult to get everyone looking thrilled at the same time.

The Chrissy Herself said...

What a fun post! Zacho will be so jealous when he reads this... :-)

Katie B said...

haha, the snowman head in the freezer cracks me up. I hope they remember the snow for a long time, it may not happen again soon

Laurie said...

Love the snowman head in the freezer!

Cheryl Joy said...

Wowww! I loved the video. Addie did NOT want to eat that snow! So cute.

I looooved the snow man!

Sarah S said...

seriously great santa shots! and I love the Ella sticking her tongue out/eating snow pic. so fun that you got snow in Houston!!

Christina said...

hahaha A snow man head in the freezer! I was missing that one in my book!