Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved this book! I loved that the author was able to give such a realistic view into life in Brooklyn in the early 1900s for a struggling family without it being completely depressing to read. (after reading the foreword of the book upon finishing it I found out that was because it is a mainly autobiographical story) In almost every character there are both attributes that I love and respect, and those that I dislike, despise or find annoying. I think that is in large part what helped in making the book come to life for me, because in life there is always going to be both good and bad and what we get from it is what we are able to make of our experiences. Life was definitely hard and unfair for Francie, but somehow you finish the book feeling hopeful, uplifted, and encouraged.



View all my reviews

1 comment:

heather said...

I am SO sad that we moved before we did this one in book club since it was one of the books I suggested :) I totally agree with your review. I just fell in love with so many of the characters since they were really real people-- they had faults but were trying to do the best they could. I can't wait to read this one again with Anna when she's a teenager.