Friday, December 3, 2010

Getting Acquainted

We went over to my grandparents' house the first thing on Saturday morning to meet the two remaining kittens (Kayley had already taken the 2 white ones and my parents adopted the little black and white one). I had really wanted 2 boy cats because our overall experience with boys has been much more positive, but we found out that morning that one was a girl. I also had only been interested in the solid colored cats initially (just out of personal preference) so these little kitties had some convincing to do.
The girls were SOOO excited that we were really going to meet the kittens finally!!!
Photobucket
Here we are going up to meet them for the first time. You can skip the first part of the video. I tried to figure out how to cut out the first section, but gave up and am just posting the whole thing.
Mike took pictures of our initial time with them before heading off to San Antonio to meet up with his family and then continue on towards CA (he just got home this morning and we are SO glad to have him home again!).
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is Beauty and she ran and hid for most of that first visit. When we left I was feeling very much like we probably wouldn't take the kittens. We had already waited so long that I didn't want to rush into it and take these kittens home just because my grandparents had them. I wanted to be sure they would be good with our kids and that they had nice personalities, so Beauty hiding on top of the other things working against them had me thinking we would just start looking around for other cats. We left, planning to come back in a couple hours after we said good bye Mike and I started looking online at various animal shelters in our area. So, going in for our second visit I was thinking we weren't taking them. Beauty must have known! That next visit she and Ella really bonded together. Beauty let Ella hold her for a long time and Ella completely fell in love. Addie of course was excited just to be around them :-). By the time we left I knew they were ours.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Beauty has remained the more shy and calm kittie so far and Tom is really social, feisty and likes to play...kind of like Ella and Addie :-).
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Notice Ella crying in the background. Tom was playing around and scratched her and it hurt her little feelings :-(.
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
After the second visit we went home so Preston could take a nap. When he woke up we headed to the grocery store since our house was empty after our OK trip and also purchased kittie supplies before going back to my grandparents' for one last visit. The kittens were getting more and more used to the girls and my grandparents brought them over to us later that night.
We always ask the kids questions where the answer is "ME!" because Preston raises his hand and says it too, which is SUPER cute.
"Who's excited for the kittens to get here?!
"ME!"
Photobucket
Photobucket
We have them in our extra room right now and the girls spent that first night sitting on the bed in there reading while the cats checked out their new home. I was impressed with how good they were about leaving them alone that night.
Of course they didn't want to go to sleep this whole week because they just wanted to stay up and play with them. And Ella told me nearly every morning that the reason she hated going to school is because she couldn't see the kittens all day.
The next day the girls spent every minute before and after church hanging out in the cat room while I kept Preston occupied.
We had these pictures hour developed so Ella could take them to school the next day and show her friends...she has LOVED showing them off to EVERYONE we know :-)! (Addie took her pictures to Joy School on Tuesday)
Photobucket
Photobucket
As a mom I was really worried especially about this not being a good experience for Ella. She is definitely more sensitive than Addie and I knew if Beauty didn't bond with her that it would really hurt her feelings. The opposite has happened though. Ella and Beauty are inseparable! Beauty loves Ella so much and sleeps with her all night already. She will now go into her room and climb up in her bed on her own and Ella LOVES it. I think it has been so great for her self-esteem! Tom has a tougher job of bonding with Addie because she doesn't quite understand that he needs space and she just is SO excited to have him that she can't contain herself. I started to get worried that he was getting too attached to me and that then Addie would feel bad and her cat-love would be ruined. He isn't a sit and hang out with you type of cat, which works well for Addie for the most part because she loves to play with him, but sometimes she does want him to cuddle and when he won't I get worried for her. Last night I took him back in to sleep on her bed 2 times and he came back to hang out with me after a few minutes, but the third time he stayed and slept with her, so I think it's going to work out perfectly!
One thing is for sure...they get plenty of attention!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

Diane said...

The kittens are sooooo cute! I am so happy for the girls, they really look excited.

Cheryl Joy said...

This makes my little heart sing! They are sooo cute! I really like the white face- which I think is Tom. He is super cute.

My family always had these kinda stripey tabby cats. They tend to be really sweet, good cats.

I'm so glad that beauty is bonding so well with lil miss Ella! :)

Kendall and Lee'sa said...

Thanks for the cute Christmas card. I'm a bad "commentor", but I enjoy your blog. :)