Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Grief Observed

A Grief ObservedA Grief Observed by C.S. Lewis

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This was our book club book for last month and I finally read it the week after our discussion on it. Although the book was great, I really enjoyed our discussion on it much more than the actually reading. The book is made up of excerpts of journals C.S. Lewis kept after the death of his wife and shows the progression he makes over time. From first being mad at God and not really understanding his feelings, to embracing that God is loving and feeling secure in that. One of the points brought up in book club that I really loved was that it is called A grief observed, not just grief observed, because obviously grief and the circumstances surrounding it are different for everyone. Overall I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it.

View all my reviews


Some quotes I really enjoyed...
"It is like that. The act of living is different all through. Her absence is like the sky, spread over everything."
"It's not true that I'm always thinking of H. Work and conversation make that impossible. But the times when I'm not are perhaps my worst. For then, though I have forgotten the reason, there is spread over everything a vague sense of wrongness, of something amiss."
"For in grief nothing 'stays put.' One keeps on emerging from a phase, but it always recurs. Round and round. Everything repeats."
"'She's in God's hand.' That gains a new energy when I think of her as a sword. Perhaps the earthly life I shared with her was only part of the tempering. Now perhaps He grasps the hilt; weighs the new weapon; makes lightnings with it in the air. 'A right Jerusalem blade.'"
"If you're approaching Him not as the goal but as a road, not as the end but as a means, you're not really approaching Him at all."
"To see, in some measure, like God. His love and His knowledge are not distinct from one another, nor from Him. We could almost say He sees because He loves, and therefore loves although He sees."

1 comment:

Diane said...

"like the sky spread over everything"...."a vague sense of wrongness, of something amiss". I really can relate.