Sunday, December 5, 2010

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

I Know Why the Caged Bird SingsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I read this book immediately after finishing A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and found them to be similar stories. They both tell of the life of young girls growing up and into the women they will later become in very different times and places. They also are both really pretty depressing stories, especially considering they are based on the author's actual lives, but still leave you feeling hopeful. Overall I enjoyed A Tree Grows in Brooklyn more, but I still found Maya Angelou's book very interesting. She went through so much in her life that it made me happy to know that she has found so much success. She definitely worked hard to earn it!



View all my reviews

1 comment:

Diane said...

After reading this book I felt, for the first time, like I had begun to understand the black woman's experience growing up in the southern United States. I have such respect for Maya's strength, resilience and wisdom....and others like her.