Saturday, June 16, 2012

Summer Reading

I typically have a hard time getting through one book in a month for my book club meeting, but this is what free time does for you...I finished 4 books in 1 week thanks to no kids, no house to clean, no tv and no meals to prepare!


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book made me remember why I chose my major, international development, in college and loved it so much. Yes, there are terrible, horrible abuses and injustices going on around the world, but there are also amazing and courageous people who put themselves out there to help. I loved that this book was full of real examples of women across the globe. Each chapter addressed a specific problem faced by women and the examples were heartbreaking, but so much more real than just reading facts and statistics. The second half of each chapter highlighted women who had dared to do something about the problem and succeeded in being a positive change. I thought my life would spent traveling to these far off countries and helping first hand, but reading this book offered ways that I can still help make a difference. I don't have to be rich or travel to have an impact and that was truly inspiring. It is easy to come up with reasons why we can't do anything to help change the world, but we can, and we should, and this book tells you how easily to do it!


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I almost gave this book 4 stars because by the end I actually really liked it, but I was a little annoyed at the beginning. It was a good traveling read that kept me engaged...I finished it in one day. I liked the look into cancer from a teenage point of view even if the writing wasn't always the best. The main character was likable in a believable way.


 
These were 2 of 3 books suggested for our June book club meeting that I missed while in Costa Rica. I'm still planning to read the other one (In the Garden of Beasts) later this summer.


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I have been meaning to read this book for a long time and finally had the time to do it! I really, really enjoyed this book. It was so informative historically but didn't bore me. I was always interested in what was going to happen next and was also surprised by how little I really knew about the Japanese part of WWII. It is truly miraculous that so many survived such horrible circumstances...or that they even made it to Japan at all. I was shocked by how many soldiers died during training during those years! I am so glad I didn't have a son during that time, I can't imagine the stress and sadness. I highly recommend this one!


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Although I feel bad giving it only 2 stars, I think as a book that is what it deserved. Of course any true story of survival during World War II is worth sharing and reading. The family lived through terrible and frightening years, surviving much of the time on their faith alone.

No comments: