Monday, September 3, 2012

One Week Down!

Whew! We survived week one of school and activities.
Addie did awesome her first week!!!! I am so relieved and hopeful that it will continue for the rest of the year. She did have one small incident at gym class, but in her classroom she earned a happy face in her folder everyday (and even an extra "great job!" on Wednesday). I think miss Adeline truly feels like she has grown up some now that she gets to go to the real school for kindergarten. That, in conjunction with the more structured day, seems to be suiting her personality much better than preschool. It probably also helps that she isn't surrounded by a group of crazy boys. I am so proud of her!!!
Ella fared well in her classes also. She is still a little apprehensive about her Spanish class, where there will be no English spoken at all this year, but she is feeling better about the friend situation. She has people to sit with at lunch and still is able to see some of her other buddies at recess so I think she is beginning to realize that she will survive :-).
The week also meant extracurriculars started for Ella Bella as well. I have always told her she can do 2 activities at a time, and one of those will be piano, so she gets to choose the other. She decided to join a year-round swim team and started practicing with them this week (we get next week off, which will be nice). They offer 6 practices a week and they want the kids to try and get to at least 4. So far she is still enjoying swimming and we like the coach a lot, I just hope this doesn't burn her out. Ella did have one break down during practice one night where she came over to me and started crying because she is one of the slower swimmers in the group. She was upset because she said it is embarrassing to come in last. She wasn't even coming in very last, but it has led to some conversations about not giving up, always trying our hardest, it doesn't matter if we win every time, etc. etc. Life lessons are hard to learn sometimes. Friday night I had all the kids at practice with me and Ella had walked a lane over to ask the coach a question. I was watching, so proud of her being assertive enough to approach the coach, and as she hurried back to her lane she slipped on the deck, smacked her face and fell into the other side of the pool. I sat there hoping it looked worse from where I was sitting that it actually was but when she came up sobbing and bleeding from her mouth I ran over. A teeny tiny piece of her tooth chipped off and she cut the inside of her mouth, but she has survived. So much for swimming being a less-dangerous sport :). Anyway, I'm curious to see how this year of swimming plays out over the months and whether or not Ella will want to do it again. I'm glad she has the chance to do it this year, but kind of hoping she will try some new things next year since I couldn't convince her of it this year.
Ella will also be starting piano this coming week, and it was nice to not have to worry about it week one.
The other activity Ella is doing (I know, it's 3 things and I'm hoping I don't regret it as the year really gets started) is a youth choir being started by a talented woman in my parents' ward, Debbie Siebert. When Ella started piano last year she really wanted to take voice instead. I promised her if she had a good attitude about practicing piano that first year she could take voice the next year. Debbie isn't doing voice lessons this year though and has started the choir instead. There are over 50 kids in it and many of Ella's friends from church are participating. I am excited about her being able to see them every week and I think it will be a fun experience for her. This is only for the first half of the year and they have some fun little concerts lined up.
Here are pictures from the first week...
Monday
 ready for first day of swim practice
8-27a-12-11
Tuesday
Our first day riding the bus! It came late and it is packed due to all the changes to the buses (our district cut tons of buses and bus stops) and we have a new bus driver. I LOVED our old one and was really disappointed to see it wasn't her that morning. We are still the second to the last stop in the morning so I wasn't worried about them though. I had them ride the bus home this day as well so we could see how it went before deciding if they would be bus riders each day or walkers (I park and go pick them up as walkers to avoid waiting in the car-rider line for an hour). That afternoon I waited and waited and WAITED. I started to panic that I had missed the bus and they were sitting at the school crying. Then at 4:50 the bus came. Yes, they had been on the hot crowded bus for nearly 1 1/2 hours!!! Needless to say, we are walkers in the afternoon now.
morning
8-28-12-1
8-28-12-2
8-28-12-3
8-28-12-4
8-28-12-5
8-28-12-6
8-28-12-7
afternoon (or actually, EVENING)
8-28-12-8
8-28-12-9
8-28-12-10
8-28-12-11
Wednesday
8-29-12-1
8-29-12-2
8-29-12-3
Thursday
The girls are on the same specials schedule, which means gym the same day...easy for me to remember!
8-30-12-1
8-30-12
Friday
I put out sandals for Addie to wear with this outfit and she told me she isn't supposed to wear shoes that show her toes. I forgot it's a kindergarten thing, but was glad she wants to follow the rules :-).
8-31-12

1 comment:

the Holyoaks said...

Cute, cute kids! Audrey starts school tomorrow and I am not ready! She's riding the bus and I hope we don't have the fiasco you did! I can't believe they were on the bus for an hour and a half! Yikes! Oh, and Audrey has the same backpack as Addie. She's super excited about it!