Thursday, June 13, 2013

Summer Reads, part 1

I am looking forward to having time to really read some books on our big road trip next month, but here are the last few I have managed to finish amidst the business of life.
 
The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

My rating: 2 of 5 stars
I am pretty sure I read this in high school although it didn't seem familiar at all when I reread it. It was fine and a quick read but I didn't think there was anything magnificent about it. It took me awhile to be engaged and I felt like the characters could have been developed more but it was interesting enough to finish and I thought about the character of Gatsby after I was finished.

A Good Man: Rediscovering My Father, Sargent ShriverA Good Man: Rediscovering My Father, Sargent Shriver by Mark Shriver

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Initially I was put off by the introduction (adoring son writing about how great his dad was when alive), but as I kept reading I ended up enjoying it much more than I expected. Sargent Shriver was the founder of the Peace Corps (assigned to bring the idea of his brother in law JFK to life) and his wife, Eunice< of the Special Olympics. I think both of those organizations of are pretty magnificent so it made the reading more interesting. Shriver does sound like he was a good man and although I didn't need to know every word others said about him (I skipped over a lot of it), it was overall a pleasant read.

Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A MemoirBloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected--A Memoir by Kelle Hampton

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I would give it 3 1/2 stars actually. The book itself is beautiful...glossy pages, pretty photographs throughout, bigger in size than the average book. Overall I really liked the book, although I didn't read through to the very end (just looked through the pictures to see cute Nella as she got older). I appreciated her honesty about the emotions she felt upon finding out at her birth that Nella had down syndrome and I think most mothers could relate. It was an enjoyable read, just a little longer than it needed to be.

View all my reviews

No comments: